Adopt a Family
In 2017 the “Adopt a Family” program has been expanded to all our families that have registered and qualified for Christmas assistance through The Salvation Army. Your responsibility as a “Family Sponsor” is to provide two toys/gifts and a needed item to each child up to age 17 from your family. The cost for each child should not exceed a $75 value. Any additional gifts or items such as gift cards, food baskets, stocking stuffers, stuffed animals etc. are at your discretion.
We work with the parent(s) to provide a detailed list to help you in your shopping choices. If you indicate that you would like to adopt the entire family including adults, you will be given lists for all family members.
TO ADOPT A FAMILY
We are family friendly, so we will not distribute certain themed items. Also, from years of experience, we know that certain items are not popular anymore and are not selected. Games are distributed as a family gift, not as individual gifts.
Please avoid the following items.
- Used Items
- Themes: Halloween, zombies, witches, ghosts, vampires, monsters, skulls or anything else that is extremely violent or evil looking.
- Guns: with the exception of Nerf items and water guns that do not look like real guns.
- Barbie dolls, Shoots and Ladders and Candy Land
- Scantly dressed, zombie or Monster High dolls
PREPARATION OF GIFTS FOR DISTRIBUTION BY THE SALVATION ARMY:
1. Label each gift with the recipient’s name and the family number.
2. Please do not wrap any of the gifts. The gifts are a donation, so the parent(s) can give their children a happy Christmas. The parent(s) need to see what is being given and enjoy wrapping each gift. You may include rolls of wrapping paper with your donation.
3. Make a note to be given to staff or attached to the package at drop off indicating the overall dollar value of the package(s). This information is used to track donations to the program and not shared with families.
4. Place all the gifts in a bag or bags, tie it shut and label each bag with the family number. If you use more than one bag, please also label the bags: “bag 1 of 2”, “bag 2 of 2”, etc. It is not necessary to purchase large Christmas bags—garbage bags work nicely.
5. If you would like the family to know your identity, you may include your first name, company name and company address. Please do not include last names or personal addresses.
IS FOOD EXPECTED?
It is totally your choice if you wish to give food or gift cards. Please do not include anything perishable that needs to be frozen or refrigerated or items such as jars that could get easily broken.
DELIVERY OF GIFTS:
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Drop off time is between noon and 6pm
Please drop off all packages at The Salvation Army Corps Community Center
710 Pennsylvania Avenue in Sheboygan, WI
Bring all packages to the Receiving Dock located at the Northwest corner of the building off the alleyway.
DISTRIBUTION OF GIFTS:
Packages will be distributed to families on Thursday, December 14.